There Is NO Way Around It!!
If you know me the slightest bit at all you know one of the passions of my heart is for people to live whole lives. I have seen amazing, wonderful, called people of God forfeit their destiny because they have not healed from their past. Their past could be unhealthy patterns they learned as a child (bad parenting), it could be pain from a relationship, it could be a fear they cling to, abuse, and truly the list goes on.
In the bible we see a called group of God forfeit their destiny because they could not let go of their past. They were the Israelites. They loved God (as many of us do) but they never dealt fully with the pain and trauma of years of being slaves (their upbringing). We see them literally losing the Promised Land because they would never allow the Lord to go down deep and get to the root of their issues. After years of trauma, do you think they would not have issues to deal with? After years of trauma, do you think you would not have issues to deal with too?
Here is what the bible says about them.
“They have healed the brokenness of My people superficially, Saying, ‘Peace, peace,’ But there is no peace. Jer 6:14 (NAS)
In other words, there is no peace with superficial healing. Do you hear me? There is NO PEACE in your life with superficial healing. God wants to get all the way down in there to truly heal you. He is not just interested in slapping a band-aid on you so everyone thinks you are healthy, he wants full, complete and total access. It is the ONLY way.
Now let me tell you, getting help is not the easy thing to do. It will make you face situations you have been running from for years, but it is the healthy thing to do. When you climb on the operating table it is painful, but it will save your life and quite possibly the life of your family, IF you would just lay still long enough.
Let me tell you some signs I have seen through the years that are indicators you have not healed fully in your life.
1. You are afraid to get counseling or feel you don’t need it. (I particularly see this in men.)
2. You hide from conflict when it arises.
3. You are fearful of authority figures.
4. You isolate yourself.
5. You don’t share your testimony because it is too painful.
6. You live in denial of where you are at (spiritually, mentally, physically).
7. You have to always look “super spiritual” to others.
8. Your relationships (if you even have them at all) are very unhealthy.
9. You will not receive correction and if you do it makes you fall apart.
10. You allow bitterness or unforgiveness to reign in your heart (even though you may deny it is even there).
11. You have bursts of anger that seem to come out of nowhere or are bigger than the situation really is.
So what am I saying? There is NO way around it. If you want to be healthy and live a life totally free, you have to allow God FULL access to those areas of your heart. I don’t know about you, but I sure don’t want to miss the Promised Land God has for be because I healed only superficially. I truly believe that if we know how to receive God’s love for us, we will know that He desires nothing more than to touch those wounded areas of our life. He is a loving father who wants to take away the pain and bondage of the past. Will you let Him, fully?