Train Up A Child……..
I received some questions today to ponder from a school principal. It made me stop and think. Most importantly it made me take an inventory. As a parent my goal is to see my children thrive and succeed in everything God has for them but that does not happen by default. It happens with intentionality. Am I being intentional in how my children are being raised? I think it is a great way to take inventory. Maybe as you read these questions you too can take an inventory too.
1. Am I spending sufficient time with my children?
2. Do they have a firm grasp on the fact that I love them, accept them, and care very much about their future?
3. Am I communicating life goals?
4. Am I communicating a proper value system?
5. Am I communicating a model of purity?
6 Am I communicating a drive for excellence?
7. Am I teaching them about a commitment to loyalty, integrity, and generosity?
8. Do they really know my spiritual priorities for life?
9. When they leave my home, will they be able to stand alone and live a Godly lifestyle?
10. I also thought I would add, Is the model I am for them the correct one? Can they see Jesus in me?
As a mother I sometimes see things in my children that are not things I want from them. I know if I keep them on the right path and I train them up in the things of the Lord, then they will not depart from His path (Provrbs 22:6). My job is to train them up properly and give them the tools necessary to equip them for this journey called life. I can look at the fruit I see in their lives to know just how well I am doing as a parent. At times I see things I don’t like at all and at other times they hit it out of the park and make me so proud. The point is that I as a parent have a huge part to play in my children living successful, Christian lives. Even though the journey is not always easy, there is not greater call on my life than that of my family.
Are you seeing the desired fruit in your children? Do you need to take inventory? What other helpful things do you want to share?